This Week

KeepandShare.com(R)  2013 Calendar with holidays

Sunday, May 6, 2012

What I've got

So training officially starts tomorrow (5/7). I've done enough reading/sitting/talking about how I'm doing this triathlon. It's time for some follow through. I found this 10week training schedule and I am going to try to follow it as much as I can. I will probably use a combination of this and the book's training schedules. As far as equipment, here is what I have: For swimming:
Our pool is about 20 yards long (this was decided in a very unscientific manner) and I will do most of my swim training here. My plan is to swim, at first, according to times and no pushing off. I'm considering getting a summer pool pass so that I can do some lap swimming, but I have mixed feelings about swimming in the city pool. (that's a lie, my feelings are NOT mixed, I don't want to do it, I'm completely grossed out by it, but it seems a necessary evil). I also need to get a swim suit,(yes I have a pool and no suit) but I will save that for a later time. For now I have swim shorts and a fitted running tank. I also need to find a way do some open water swimming , so I'm not new to it on race day. Running: These shoes are nothing fancy, but they are lightweight and flexible. Though I plan to do the majority of my running outside on gravel trails, I also have a treadmill.
My husband has been using this religiously as he recovers from back surgery. I've used it a few times, and what I really like are the pre-programmed interval workouts. This is always an option for rainy days or when I'm on my own with the kids and can't get out. Biking: This is close to the bike I have. Though mine is a "large" frame (I'm 6'tall, have I mentioned that?). A few years ago we splurged on these bikes at the Bike Barn. At the time I saw no need to have a bike with gears, but now I'm grateful to have it. It is considered a 'fat-tire' bike, but it should help with the daunting 15 mile bike loop that goes over this bridge
twice... and I have a seldom used (though that will change now) membership to anytime fitness, which I will use for strength training. So, while it's not like I'm fully prepped and ready to go, I do have some resources at my disposal. All I really need is the shoes, access to a pool and a bike. I also need a bike helmet,a good hat and some decent goggles (for now I'm borrowing all 3 from my oldest son). Stay tuned!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment