This Week

KeepandShare.com(R)  2013 Calendar with holidays

Monday, April 30, 2012

In the beginning.

It is not an exaggeration to say that I don't know what the Hell I'm doing because I just might be the most clueless soon-to-be triathlete alive. Deciding where to begin is more than daunting, so I've reverted to my old stand-by, I bought a book. I'm pretty notorious for deciding to do something, i.e.: run a marathon, plant an all organic raised-bed garden, open an e-bay shop, etc. (I could go on, but really, why?) and never getting much further than a purchase at Barnes and Noble. This time, will be different (more on this in a bit). The book I am reading is, Your First Triathlon by John Friel.. I'm on the 3rd chapter, and so far it is a very readable book. It has a 12 week training plan, which has me in a bit of a panic, but I'm will to postpone the "freak out" for a later date. I'll let you know more about what I think about this book and it's usefulness after I've actually read it.
Back to the "this time it will be different" point... I'm making a point of telling everyone I know, especially those people who will hold me accountable, and those people, in front of whom, I'd be embarrassed to fail. I'm daring myself to be accountable, and it is scary, but I just keep imagining crossing the finish line and I feel more resolved to do it. I also imagine my future self, mentioning that I've completed a triathlon with the same nonchalance as if I'd just replaced the paper towel roll (note that I did NOT say 'replace the toilet paper roll' because for that I'd require a parade or, at the very least, a quiet toast at dinner). I'm already in awe of that future self, now I just need to find her. Today's small victory: I have committed to memory the correct spelling of the word 'triathlon' it is NOT "triathAlon".

No comments:

Post a Comment